2011 Historic Preservation Award Recipients
National Preservation Month, sponsored by the National Trust of Historic Places, was celebrated by Proclamation within the Village of Villa Park and across America during the month of May. This year's theme is "Celebrating America's Treasures". Villa Park's Annual Historic Plaque Award Program includes awards for Historic Preservation and Historic Landmark categories.
At the April 25, 2011 Village Board meeting, the Villa Park Historic Preservation Commission announced the recipients of this year's annual Historic Plaque awards.
Kurt and Bridget Zito received a Historic Preservation plaque for their large, two story Prairie-style house. Situated on a large corner lot at 205 East Park Boulevard, it was built in 1924 by Charles Heisen, an early developer of the community. It is named the Dahlman House (PDF) for its first owner and is part of the C.C. Heisen Resubdivision of November, 1919. The house was designed to utilize unusually narrow windows that had been purchased in large quantity at a good price.
William and Patricia Langridge received a Historic Preservation plaque for their attractive, solidly-built grey stucco Arts and Crafts Bungalow house located at 127 East Highland Avenue in the historic 1908 Ardmore subdivision. It features many windows, lovely woodwork and has a large front porch. It is named the Schwartz House (PDF) after its original owner and was built in 1921.
The Historic Landmark plaque was given to Stephen and Kathleen Bunjes for their unique home that was built in 1911 and located at 235 East Highland Avenue in the 1908 Villa Park Subdivision. It is named the Original Community Congregational Church (PDF). This building was built to serve as the first church in the community by Charles Heisen, an early developer. The land resides in the 1908 Ardmore subdivision that had been part of the Canfield farm and was donated by Mr. and Mrs. Austin. In 1912, the Community Congregational Church was established at this location. After the congregation moved to its new church at 410 South Cornell Avenue in 1929, it was converted to the American Legion Hall and was used for this purpose for nearly 25 years. The hall was rehabbed into a private residence. In 1957, Mr. & Mrs. Steven Mitchell purchased it and later sold it to Dorothy Bohasseck and Sara McWilliams in July of 1960. Then in 2001, the house was sold to the current owners. Over the years, they have made many improvements to its exterior and interior.
The present owners and caretakers are commended for their contributions to the community and for the preservation and maintenance of these important structures that links the past with the future of Villa Park. These buildings are significant to the history and development of the Village of Villa Park and contribute to its character and heritage.