Planning & Zoning
Planning & Zoning Activities
- Technical advisors to Planning and Zoning Commission.
- Site Plan Zoning Review.
- Annexation, Rezoning and Subdivision Review.
- Conditional and Special Use Reviews.
- Comprehensive Plan Revisions.
- Zoning Ordinance Amendments.
- Site Plan Zoning Compliance.
- Liaison with other Village Departments of New Developments.
Staff reviews all building permit applications to verify compliance with zoning requirements. The basic zoning ordinance can be viewed online at Ordinances, Chapter 18, Article I & II and Appendix C, Articles 1-28, purchased at the Village Hall or reviewed at the Villa Park Public Library.
In 2001, the Village approved an administrative plat review process for 2 lot single family residential subdivisions. The process allows an applicant to subdivide on (1) single family residential lot into two (2) single family residential lots provided that the subdivision meets all zoning requirements without going through the Public Hearing process. In order to be able to apply for the Administrative Plat Review, you must meet the requirements listed below. The application form and fees can be found below also.
Administrative Plat Review Criteria
- Property is located in a single family residential zoning district.
- Two-lot subdivision.
- Site is less than 1 acre.
- No new streets will be created or an existing street extended.
- The subdivision complies with subdivision, zoning, storm water and all Village Ordinances
Information Required for Planning and Zoning Petition
- Administrative Subdivision Application.
- Signature Blocks for Administrative Subdivision.
Planning and Zoning Commission
- The Planning and Zoning (P&Z) Commission is a combination of both the Zoning Board of Appeals and the Plan Commission.
- Nine member board of residents.
- Meets the second Thursday of every month at Village Hall.
Zoning Relief Process
Development that does not meet all zoning regulations must seek zoning relief from the P&Z Commission.
- The process takes approximately 90 days from the day the application is submitted to final Village Board approval.
- A preliminary site plan should be submitted for staff's review before beginning the zoning relief process.
- The application, fees and all supporting documents are due a minimum of 30 days prior to the next P&Z meeting.
- The zoning relief process is generally as follows.
Pre-Application Meeting with representative from the Community Development Department, Public Works Department, and the Fire Department is an informal meeting to discuss the proposal and any requirements to apply for the Planning & Zoning Commission.
The applicant shall prepare and submit to the Community Development Director, all information required by the Village of Villa Park including but not limited to completed application, all materials identified in the Checklist for Planning & Zoning Commission, a completed application data form and all applicable fees.
Meeting Dates and Application Deadlines
All materials shall be completed in full and approved by the Community Development Director 6 weeks in advance of the scheduled Public Hearing. The Planning & Zoning Commission meets regularly on the second Thursday evening each month at 7:30 p.m. in the Board Room, second floor of Village Hall, 20 South Ardmore Avenue. At the call of the Chairperson and at such other times as such Commission or the Corporate Authorities may determine, other meetings may be held. See meeting dates and application deadlines below:
|Application Date||Meeting Dates|
|December 13, 2019||January 09, 2020|
|January 10, 2020||February 13, 2020|
|February 07, 2020||March 12, 2020|
|March 13, 2020||April 09, 2020|
|April 10, 2020||May 14, 2020|
|May 08, 2020||June 11, 2020|
|June 12, 2020||July 09, 2020|
|July 10, 2020||August 13, 2020|
|August 14, 2020||September 10, 2020|
|September 11, 2020||October 08, 2020|
|October 09, 2020||November 12, 2020|
|November 13, 2020||December 10, 2020|
|December 11, 2020||January 14, 2020|
Public Notice Procedures
Between 15 to 30 days prior to the Public Hearing, notice is published in a local newspaper and all adjacent property owners within 250 feet, exclusive of right-of way are mailed notices of the upcoming Public Hearing. In addition, a Notice of Public Hearing sign must be placed on the subject property. Failure to post the sign or receive written notice shall not invalidate or delay the holding of the Public Hearing.
Public Hearing Process
A Public Hearing shall be convened on a date established by the published notice. You are required to attend this Public Hearing to present the evidence and testimony and to answer any questions from the public and the commission. Applicants are encouraged to make extensive use of exhibits to illustrate their application. The order of business at any Public Hearing shall be as follows.
Public Hearing Procedure
Please note that no further testimony on this matter can be considered after the close of the Public Hearing.
- Presentation of Petitioner.
- Staff Input.
- Public participation and questions.
- Questions from the Commission.
- Closing Comments of Petitioner.
- Close Public Hearing.
- Discussion by Commission Members.
In cases where the Planning & Zoning Commission finds that the anticipated increased activity in the Village due to the proposed development requires the provision of additional public service, facilities or the like, the Planning & Zoning Commission may require a dedication or reservation of land, monetary payments or the construction of improvement, as a legal condition of approval for subdivision or development. Such developer contributions shall not be required unless the anticipated increased activity necessitating the contribution is specifically and uniquely attributable to activities of the developer which generates costs, which would otherwise be cast upon the public.
Village Board Consideration
The recommendation of the Planning & Zoning Commission together with a transcript of the proceedings and other information gathered at the Public Hearing shall be forwarded to the Village Board. You are required to attend this meeting of the Village Board to answer any questions the Village Board may have.
For any construction, a building permit may be required. All forms can be located under the Document Center or contact Permit\Building Department located within the Public Works Department at 11 West Home Avenue or call 630-834-8505.